Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Selection Series

Today I will be doing another review on a popular YA series. It was passed up for a show on the CW and is pretty popular for avid readers, but I don't think many people in the general public know much about it yet. The series I am referring to is the Selection Series by Kiera Cass. Set in a dystopia where North America is ruled by a monarchy and has a very strict caste system, the first book, The Selection, tells the story of the how the prince of Illea decides his bride. When hansom prince Maxon comes of age and is ready to marry, all girls between 16 and 20 are allowed to enter their name in a "lottery" in the hopes of being chosen to live at the palace along with 34 other women to compete for not only Maxon's heart but also the crown. It's what seemingly every woman dreams of. Not America Singer. America is perfectly content in her caste, even though it may be one of the lowest, she believes she has everything she needs. She enjoys her work as a performer, she has a very caring family, and she is madly in love with her boyfriend, Aspen. She receives pressure from her family and from Aspen, claiming he wants a better life for her, but she refuses to enter her name. However, when her mother bribes her to enter, America finally agrees. Never in a million years did she think she would be selected but when she finds out that she is America knows her life will change forever. After being forced to go to the palace, America finds close friends in the competition as well as fierce enemies. She is determined to not fall in love with Maxon so she may return home and live as normally as possible, but she finds herself drawn to him and him to her, and soon she finds that it may be impossible not to fall for him. Normal will never again be an option. America thinks she knows the path she wants to take even though it strays far from comfort, but she again changes her mind when Aspen suddenly reenters her life. America must choose which course she wants to take; royalty or the simple life. 
I loved this book. It had a lot of intrigue and it was very easy to get into. I don't like it when books are slow at the beginning. If it's good but too boring at first, I may not stick around to get to the good stuff. The Selection was definitely not one of those books. From the moment I started, I couldn't put it down and I ended up reading it in one day. This book is labeled as a dystopian novel, but it isn't as science fictiony as other dystopian novels. It is very much a romance though. I recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of The Bachelor. It is very much like that but I don't think it is as cheesy. :) This is where I dislike the book. If you don't like reality television, you probably won't like it. I think that this novel is kind of narrowed for the feminine likes and I usually like to read a book and be able to tell both guys and girls that I think they would like it. Most guys probably wouldn't like this novel. Sorry guys, it's pretty girly! Saying that, I do think that most teenage girls would enjoy this book! Anyone who's a fan of Twilight and a good ole love triangle would enjoy The Selection. It has a really good pace and will leave you dying to know what happens to America, Maxon, and Aspen.
THE SELECTION:


America returns in the second Selection Series novel, The Elite by Kiera Cass. The Selection is still under way in the second novel, as Maxon has narrowed the girls down to his final six choices for future brides. They are called the Elite. America is as confused as ever about her love life. She has deep feelings toward Maxon and she knows he can give her anything and provide for her, but her and Aspen's passion is always at the back of her mind. With the Selection beginning to come to a close, the Elite are put through princessly challenges to see who is well equipped for the job. Maxon is madly in love with America but she believes she is not fit for the role of Princess of Illea. As if this wasn't enough stress, the competition between the girls is heating up. There is tremendous rivalry. With the king and queen watching them, as well as Maxon, the girls must be at their best at all times, but America finds it hard to play by the rules, especially with Aspen much too close to her, physically and emotionally. In the end she has to decide if she can handle all that comes with being a princess, or loose Maxon all together. Maybe it's not such a bad thing if Aspen is there to catch her.
Cass did a wonderful job with this novel and it was just as entertaining as the first, if not more. Again it had a nice pace and it was so thrilling that I couldn't stop reading. I read this book in one day as well. I do have a couple of things that I had problems with. As in the first book, it's really girly. Most guys aren't going to like this novel. My only other critique is that it's really up and down and it totally plays with the readers emotions. I both liked and disliked that. It does make the book pretty unpredictable which I like but don't read this if you just got out of a break up. One chapter you like Maxon and then the next you hate him. Same goes for Aspen. It's a total rollercoaster. I do like how unpredictable it is. I think I might have a pretty good idea as to who America ends up with but I guess I just have to wait until the third book comes out to see if I am correct.
THE ELITE:


No comments:

Post a Comment